Roast Halibut with Beetroot, Bacon & Black Pudding Dressing & Horseradish Cream
Try to use wild halibut if possible, although this can be difficult to source. Farmed Halibut is easier to find. The freshness of the fish with the earthy taste of the beetroot is a superb combination. Instead of using horseradish cream, you could try grating fresh horseradish over the fish.
Ingredients for the dressing:
200ml red wine
1 tablespoon brown sugar
30ml cabernet vinegar
30ml olive oil
100g cured dried bacon
100g black pudding
(Derry Clarke Range of Bacon & Pudding)
For the dressing:
- Reduce the red wine and sugar by half over a low heat until the liquid reaches a sauce-like consistency.
- Add the vinegar and reduce again.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Fry the bacon and pudding in a hot oiled pan until lightly browned.
- Add to the sauce with the beetroot. Season to taste and keep warm.
Ingredients for the halibut:
4 halibut fillets
a little oil
a little lemon juce
For the roast halibut:
- In a hot oiled pan, sear the halibut on both sides for 2 minutes on each side. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Finish in the oven for 5 minutes at 180 degrees.
Ingredients for the horseradish cream:
1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
2 tablespoons crème fraîche
For the horseradish cream
- mix together the horseradish and crème fraîche and still until creamy.