Crispy Duck Break with Glazed Butternut Squash
Before cooking duck breasst, rub the skin with sea salt for extra crispness. Cooking the duck skin side down in a pan that you heat from cold also helps the skin to cook through. I would recommend serving the duck pink. The butternut squash in this dish cuts the richness of the duck.
Ingredients for the glazed butternut squash:
1 butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
4 large shallots (halved)
200g cured bacon (blanced and cubed)
juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
50g chopped fresh sage
50g chopped fresh thyme
For the glazed butternut squash:
- Place the butternut squash, shallots and bacon in a bowl. Add the orange and lime juice, olive oil, honey, butter, sage and thyme.
- Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Toss all the ingredients together and spread on a roasting tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Ingredients for the duck:
4 duck breast
1 large bunch of rocket leaves
For the duck:
- Place the duck breasts skin side down on a cold heavy frying pan.
- Cook on a high heat until the skin is crisp (about 5 minutes)
- Turn the breasts over and reduce the heat.
- Cook for a futher 3-5 minutes for pink, longer for medium or well done.
- Allow the duck breasts to rest.
- Carve the breasts lengthways.
- Spoon the squash onto serving plates, place the duck on top with the rocket leaves, and drizzle with olive oil.