Derry Clarke's Roast Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk
1 pumpkin (aoubt 1.5kg)
1 tablespoon chopped sage
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
2 onions (sliced)
1 thumb-seized piece root ginger (peeled)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 teaspoons curry spices
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 litre chicken stock
200ml coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 170ºC
- Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and bake in the oven with the sage and thyme until soft (about an hour). Allow to cool and remove the flesh.
- Slowly sweat the onion, ginger and garlic in a large pot for 10 minutes.
- Add the spices, pumpkin and sugar.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes and then add the chicken stock.
- Simmer gently for 30-40 minutes.
- Blitz with a hand blender or food processor until smooth.
- Season and add the coconut milk, and a little cream if desired. Warm through.
(Butternut Squash can be used instead of Pumpkin if preferred)